Wild Rice Crab Cakes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper -- finely chopped
- 1/4 cup shallots -- minced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large egg whites -- lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons olive oil -- divided
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add wild rice; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until tender.
- Combine cooked wild rice, crab, and next 11 ingredients (crab through egg whites) in a large bowl.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1-inch thick patty.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 patties, cook 4 minutes. Carefully turn patties over; cook 4 minutes or until golden. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and patties.